Vecchio 02-07-2019, 19.42.04   #16
Brian
Utente Senior

L'avatar di Brian

Brian non in linea
Data di registrazione: Thu May 2007
Ubicazione: Tempe, Arizona, USA
Predefinito

Sorry, I don't like the cap. it has some issues. However I seem to be the only dissenting opinion.

Vecchio 02-07-2019, 22.22.24   #17
Holster
Utente BMF

L'avatar di Holster

Holster non in linea
Data di registrazione: Wed May 2007
Ubicazione: Patria est ubicumque est bene
Predefinito

Hello Brian!
Please, let us know which kind of issues?
You are welcome 😉

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
William Shakespeare (1564-1616), "Hamlet", Act I, scene V, 166-167

##Cerco materiale regolamentare (timbrato) da truppa AU (divise, copricapo, equipaggiamenti), sia pre-war sia war-time in buone-ottime condizioni##

Vecchio 08-07-2019, 18.39.43   #18
Brian
Utente Senior

L'avatar di Brian

Brian non in linea
Predefinito

This cap was offered on eBay USA and did not get a bidder even though the price was a reasonable $1200. While the cap overall looks very good, I did not bid for the following reasons:

On top of the cap the loop stitching is visible where the peak meets the wool under the button flap. I have only seen this from the factory when a V shaped stitch is used.

Next, inside the cap, the sweatband is machine sewn the entire circumference of the cap, but not to the peak. Typically, the machine stitching stops at the peak which is then loop stitched to both the sweatband and cap body. What we see here I have only seen on ONE genuine cap. In other genuine samples, when you do see the sweatband machine stitched all the way around, stitches through the peak also.

Last, the thread at the top and bottom of the sweatband looks black or some other dark color. In the factory this thread was the same feldgrau or hechtgrau thread used to sew the cap body.

Now it is possible that the peak and even the sweatband were replaced or re-sewn at a field repair station during the war and I could overlook these issues except that the cap was offered by Mr. K. We know that he sells original items, but we also know that he has offered some very convincing well marked and aged fakes.

Photos would help illustrate these concerns.
Immagini allegate
Tipo di file: jpg Cap 2.jpg (106.8 KB, 6 visite)

Vecchio 08-07-2019, 18.42.00   #19
Brian
Utente Senior

L'avatar di Brian

Brian non in linea
Predefinito

vbvbvbvb
Immagini allegate
Tipo di file: jpg Cap 1.jpg (152.3 KB, 2 visite)

Vecchio 10-07-2019, 17.04.24   #20
Andrea Marighetti

L'avatar di Andrea Marighetti

Andrea Marighetti non in linea
Data di registrazione: Wed May 2007
Ubicazione: Verona
Predefinito

Quote:
Brian Visualizza il messaggio
Sorry, I don't like the cap. it has some issues. However I seem to be the only dissenting opinion.
Hai ragione Brian, osservandolo meglio si notano particolari negativi, aveva ragione anche un mio amico del forum che me lo aveva fatto notare.
Con l'incremento dei falsari specializzati ormai non c'Ŕ pi¨ da stare tranquilli, sono oggetti che andrebbero visti di persona, anche il tatto con la stoffa, ad esempio, ne potrebbe delineare un difetto.

Feldkappe
Vecchio 13-07-2019, 07.14.32   #21
Martin-cz
Utente

Martin-cz non in linea
Data di registrazione: Mon Nov 2018
Predefinito Feldkappe

Hello, guys thanks for comments.

Brian:

As I have this cap at home I can tell you that its 100% original austrian M15 feldkappe, and after detail observation the only posible error is as you have mentioned the visor seems to be repaired but the leather is hardened so it would be hard to sew it nowadays the repair is pretty old and also could be WW1. And sweatband is originaly sewn just to the place where it meets the peak as it should be. The rest of the sweatband was sewn to the cap later on during the repair (previous damage of the peak), its visible on detailed view. Everything else is ok with comparison to other WW1 caps. The thread color is absolutely ok. Is nonsense to say that factory thread color was only feldgrau and hechtgrau... there were plenty of manufacturers and its pretty common that black color thread is used. You can see this on many other caps for all kind of troops.

Regards,

Martin - Czech Rep.

Vecchio 15-07-2019, 19.05.10   #22
Brian
Utente Senior

L'avatar di Brian

Brian non in linea
Predefinito

Martin,
As long as you are satisfied with what you observe and the conclusions you draw, I must accept that the cap is authentic. After all, you are the only one with the cap in hand to study the small details.

If the sweatband is hand stitched behind the visors, that helps the case for a legitimate early repair.

As for the sweatband thread color, my statement was based on the 13 regulation caps I have owned at one time and the dozens of others I have studied. I have no documentation on this, only my observation that I have only seen black thread used on dunkelblau caps and what seems like an efficient manufacturing practice. I am speaking only about regulation caps.

That being said, I have also learned that while there were many regulations and standards, there were always exceptions of convenience that were made and passed through the monturedepot system.

The deciding factor on my not bidding on the cap was the reputation of Mr. K. I have seen him offer many fakes. However, I have myself bought two authentic caps from him.

In conclusion, I now join in congratulating you on a beautiful set.
Rispondi

Stanno leggendo questa discussione: 1 (0 utenti e 1 visitatori)

Strumenti della discussione Cerca in questa discussione
Cerca in questa discussione:

Ricerca avanzata
ModalitÓ di visualizzazione